40 Days of Purpose

The musical sections at our corps are doing something very odd.

(for them, anyway)

For the next 4 weeks, there will be no rehearsals.

Instead, there will be Bible Study.

?????????????????????????????????

Anyone who knows anything about North York Temple, will know that it is one of the more traditional corps in the city, especially when it comes to music. We have a very strong band program, and the songsters aren't far behind. We have very strong leaders, a lot of musicians (with names like Venables, Allington, Rawlins), and the focus has always been the MUSIC.

So, when it was announced last week that the leaders would be giving up their rehearsal time (in the middle of a busy season, no less), and instead the groups would come together on one of the rehearsal nights to do a bible study, needless to say there were a few raised eyebrows. (mine included)

I'm thinking to myself, this could be a very good thing!

I was very surprised that the Bandmaster and Songster Leader agreed to this. Our corps band is a very busy one, with big grandiose concerts and special events happening every couple of months or so. They're even preparing to do a recording. But, I think this bible study shows that the priority is being put in the right place. It's also teaching the younger kids in the corps what the priority should be.

We'll be going through Rick Warren's "The Purpose-Driven Life". Now, our own little bible study group (when it was running) already did this book. I'm not upset about doing it again, though, because it was a couple of years ago, and to be honest, I don't remember a whole lot. I'm looking forward to refreshing my memory, and maybe getting a different perspective as well. (different leaders can have that effect!)

I'm also looking forward to being in a small group setting with people I don't normally hang out with. The small groups are being chosen completely by random, and while some may find that scarey, I'll be interested to see how the dynamic works out. Especially if I wind up in a group with someone I don't like/get along with/appreciate. As was said in the first session last night, "God's not worried about our comfort; He's concerned with our character".

One concession that was made for the leaders, is that we'll be squishing the "40 days" into 4 weeks, so we're having to read 2 chapters a day instead of 1. That's OK - I enjoy reading. I just hope I can keep up with it...

Sherrilyn and Elfreda brought up a very good point last week: we don't get near the scriptural teaching through the church that we used to. Think about it: we used to have 2 meetings plus open-air every Sunday, as kids we started in Sunday School, then went to Junior Soldiers, then Sr Soldiers, then Corps Cadets, then usually youth group every week. It was perfectly normal to be at the corps 4-5 days out of the week, and not just for musical practices.

But, then they started cutting things out, watering things down, and catering to outside influences. Short-cuts taken. Meetings cancelled. Programs altered in an attempt to "make it more relevant". Eventually, things just plain petered out. It's a sad state, really.

And we wonder why church attendance is down?....

I hope the rest of the congregation, and maybe even some other corps, might take our example and try the same thing. Take a sabbatical from something you think is important, and focus for a time on what truly is important. It's the age-old concept of fasting, and it can do wonders for your soul!
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Very cool indeed.
    Keep us up to date!


  2. J9 Says:

    I will indeed! And I'm keeping up with the reading so far, which is a small victory!