Rest

I mentioned this before, the concept of rest. Not sleep, but rest.

I got some rest this weekend. I'm actually feeling rather sleep-deprived at the moment, but I feel rested.

Ironic?

Not when you think about it.

No, I didn't get enough sleep. I came home from work today feeling like I needed a 2-hour nap. But I was able to do something this weekend that I don't often have a chance to do: I took a break from the world.

I didn't run away, I didn't go into seclusion, I didn't join a convent or anything drastic like that. I was home alone (band-widowed again), which allowed me to work on myself a little. (and the house, for that matter - it's amazing how much better one feels with a clean house!) It was a much-needed time-out from the hectic busy-ness that is my life these days.

Don't get me wrong, I missed Doug while he was away! But being the stereotypical introvert, I find being around people to be very tiring. It's taken Doug a little while to learn that when I first come home from work, I need to just be by myself for a little while, so I can re-charge and calm down. Dealing with people all day every day is very wearing on someone with my personality type, and I need a break from it. Otherwise, I can get just a little cranky.

Today, my head feels clearer, I feel better about myself, about my ability to cope. I'm actually starting to feel like a grown-up, instead of a kid playing "house". It doesn't feel so much like my world is crashing down around me.

All because I got some rest.

Now, if only I could just get some sleep.....
1 Response
  1. kathryn Says:

    rest is a great thing, Janine! I like your thoughts here. I totally relate to introversion, because that is half of who i am. . i feel like an odd creature, i'm half extro and half intro! I don't think that's unusual, but i don't really know.