Escape from Reality!

I'm in serious count-down mode!

I get to completely escape from life this weekend!

I'm not sure how many people know just how much I'm into scrapbooking. I tend to spend a rather silly amount of money on tools and supplies, but I love the challenge of putting a lay-out together, finding just the right colours and embellishments to go with a certain group of photos, finding just the right place for each piece of the "puzzle"...

A couple of ladies at my corps (that's "church" for the non-Sally-Ann-ers) introduced me to the "scrapping cabin" last year. It only took one experience and I was hooked! A bunch (ie. 35-40 or so) of scrapping ladies all get together at Jackson's Point (at the Salvation Army camp/conference center) and do nothing but scrap all weekend. No husbands, no kids, no Real Life... It's a blast! (and when I say scrap "all weekend", I'm not kidding - we regularly go until 2-3am before finally calling it a night, then start right back up at 9am!)

I'm sure there are those of you who are saying to yourselves at this point, "what in the world is so exciting about SCRAPBOOKING????" Well, it's not so much the scrapping (although that in itself can be a lot of fun and very satisfying), but it's the whole idea of hanging out with a whole lot of awesome people and having a TONNE of fun. I think I laughed the hardest I've ever laughed at last fall's cabin!

One of the great things about the Cabin is the completely relaxed and Christian atmosphere. There's so much camaraderie amongst us all, we really feel we can be ourselves - even though a lot of the women are strangers when we first get there! There's no gossiping, no back-biting, no cattiness that can sometimes define a "ladies weekend". Everyone is there to have a lot of fun and relaxation, and believe me, that's what we do!

One thing that I have noticed about these weekends, is that they always seem to come right when I need them the most. The last Cabin was last November, right after I had come through one of my more horrific months on memory, and the break from reality was just what I needed to re-charge. This weekend is no different. The last few weeks have been full of discouraging events, and this will be a much-needed escape from the "blahs" I've been fighting my way through. I need a good, long, gut-aching laugh! (and I'm certain I'll get more than one, if prior Cabin's have been any indication!)

Now, just one thing: don't expect to check this blog next week and find a lot of stories about the "antics" from the weekend, because there's just one rule that governs the Scrapping Cabin and its participants:

"What happens at the Cabin, STAYS at the Cabin!!"

(heehee, I can't wait!)
2 Responses
  1. secondofwett Says:

    I hope you had a great time! You'll have to take your cousin with you sometime....she needs that kind of fun!!!


  2. J9 Says:

    I did have a great time! And for sure, I'd love to take Les with me!