The Reading Paradox

I love to read. Give me a good novel, and I'll have it read cover-to-cover in 2 days. (we're talking the 500-600 page size)

But, tell me I have to read something, and do you think I can do it?

It's like pulling teeth!

I started out so well, reading the Purpose Driven Life. I was on top of the readings, keeping on track, even remembering what I was reading. A book like that, you'd think I'd be flying through it, reading ahead, trying to pace myself so I don't have it read through so quickly that I don't remember things when we finally discuss them at the sessions.

Instead, it's a chore. One that I think to myself, "I really should do that.....right after I do something else...." I struggle to concentrate on what it is I'm reading, fight the distractions that wouldn't even touch my sub-conscious level if it were a good novel I was reading.

It's SO frustrating!

I'm seriously behind on PDL now. No hope of catching up. We have a session tonight, then the final session on Sunday. All I can do now is try to actually finish reading the book, but with no outside motivation, I'm not sure if it will happen.

(someone) is laughing right now.

And I hate it when (he) does that.
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    i love reading too. .when i'm in the mood for it. I always juggle a few books at the same time and i don't know why? PDL. . i read that on my own, not part of any group. . it was good (I don't remember any of it now!!!) Some books, you just don't retain the info, others can stay with you, or least the gist of it stays with you.

    kathy