Letting off some steam

If you're not in the mood to listen to (or in this case, read about) a total rant, then stop right now.

This ain't gonna be pretty.....

We've been having a lot of difficulties at work lately. The job stress level is extremely high in my line of work, but over the past year or so, we've been having to deal with a very high level of office stress as well. Doesn't make for a particularly productive or enjoyable work environment!

I've watched my teammates deal with stress coming at them from the "powers that be" (ie. our immediate supervisors and lower-level management). It's been one unfortunate incident after another, where people are targetted, put-down, disrespected, and just overall, treated in a very lousy fashion. We've been regimented in the most silly ways, while important questions are answered with "I'll look into that and get back to you..."

And they wonder why morale is so low....

Well, today was my turn. Up until now, I've pretty much managed to fly under the radar, so-to-speak. I pride myself in having the ability to see a situation from multiple points of view, and to understand where another person is coming from in any given conflict. I am also very concious of how I express myself, and am probably one of the most diplomatic people on my team. (I'm not kidding myself, my teammates agree with that point of view) And yet, I am led to believe that in this latest instance, it is I who needs to "be more respectful".

I'm sorry, but when a person is interrupted and talked-over, it is not an example of professionalism. And yet, this was my experience today. When a person who is in authority is rude, and interrupts you, is this not an example of how NOT to communicate?? What is my recourse? We've tried (as a team) to explain to the higher eschelon (as well as HR) that we have been experiencing this kind of behavior, and have asked to have something done about it, but all we've gotten is political nonsense about how "we all need to learn how to communicate with each other".....I'm sorry, the communication problem does not lie with us peons!!!

Sorry, I've had enough. I've suffered through more than a year of crap, and have found ways to justify it, live with it, brush it off, and sweep it under the carpet in the name of Diplomacy. No more. I was not rude or disrespectful in any way in what I said, or the way I said it. And yet, when it was said that "we all need to be respectful in our delivery", it was I who was looked at, not the person who was actually rude and disrespectful!

It doesn't help that this all happened after we were delivered what I refer to as the last straw: it is being regimented as to how we are to celebrate in the office. Why would someone want something as personal and individual as their birthday turned into an instituted "thou shalt do it this way" event to be shared by all who have a birthday in any given month? I agree with my one teammate: it's really quite offensive! (M-E, thanks for speaking up!)

Some of you who decided to keep reading this, may be asking yourselves: "what is she so upset about? It's not like a rude comment or a shared birthday party is the end of the world. Get over it!" Well, let me refer you to the prior paragraph where I used the term "last straw". This is just one example in a thousand of how my colleagues and I have been treated in general over the last year or so.

Quite frankly, I've had enough. And I'm not alone.
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Oh my gosh Janine, that is insane. I hope you guys all band together and take it to the top. There's strength in numbers remember. You gotta hate it when your work environment becomes unbearable. I will pray that something changes for you soon.