It's Not the Distance, It's the Mileage....

I love it when I get emails from my mom, telling me about the latest exploits of my niece and nephew. It's usually the very thing to brighten up my day, although it also points out just how little I get to see them, and how fast they're growing up!

I got a real laugh today, finding out about the "Birthday Present (Not-So) Secret." It's my brother's birthday today (Happy Birthday, Phil!), and they had a party for him last night. Well, I guess poor Ethan got in trouble, because he had a little trouble keeping Phil's present a surprise. (Is this really surprising for a 5-year-old??) However, the amusing thing was that it was actually Sarah's parents who truly spilled the beans!

Poor little guy....

(Ethan, not Phil...)

It really hits home, though, how long it usually is between visits with my family. It's kinda stupid, too -- I only live an hour away, and I think I saw Phil and Sarah more often when they lived in New York City! But, when you consider everyone's schedules, and factor in corps activities, full-time work schedules, social lives that really don't cross each other very often, and compound that with Toronto traffic....

It's one of the big reasons I'm wanting to move!! Stories are great, but I really wish I could experience it all first-hand. I don't want to miss out on the memories that make families like ours so close. I grew up in a family that lived within a few kilometers of each other (Grandma and Papa were right down the road, and my best-friend-cousin was 5 minutes away), so the distance from Hamilton to Scarborough just seems that much further. I know Milton isn't right next door, either, but at least the drive would be a lot easier to make.

In the mean time, I look forward to my next kidlet-update, whether it's Ethan's next choice of vocation (apparently, his current wish is to be a paleontologist) (or has that changed?), or Micaela's most recent accomplishment on piano or cornet (you should hear her, she's quite the musician!).

Keep them coming!
0 Responses