Hello, my name is Janine....

....and I'm a bad blogger!

I just realized how pathetically long it has been since I've posted on here! I guess I have an excuse, but when it's been over 2 months...

Connor Douglas Elvin arrived on April 21, 2009 at 4:31pm. A little ahead of schedule, but then not really -- he was only 4 days ahead of his due date; it was I who was convinced he'd be at least a week late!



I can't say labour wasn't what I expected, mainly because I didn't know what to expect. I can say, however, that it did not go the way I had hoped. For one thing, we had been told by our pre-natal instructor that only 10% of women have their water break spontaneously before labour starts. Apparently, I fall in that 10%! Doug commented that he's never seen me move so fast as when I bolted from the living room couch to the powder room when I felt a bubble burst between my legs...and made it there before anything hit the floor! It was then I realized that the strong Braxton Hicks with accompanying backache weren't Braxton Hicks after all...I'd been feeling them every 10-20 minutes or so for a couple of hours, but hadn't thought much about them.


That was about 8pm on the 20th. I was in for a long night, and long day the next day. My goal had been to go through labour and delivery without any medications or interventions. I especially didn't want to have an epidural. Well, I managed to avoid any interventions, but the medications and epidural?....well, let's just say, the back labour was the most EXCRUCIATING pain I have ever experienced in my life!!!


But, he was worth it! Connor is now 8 weeks old, smiling away at us, nursing like a champ, and growing like crazy! He was 7lbs, 12oz at birth (3540 grams for you metric types)....at his 8 week doctor's appointment, he weighed 12lbs, 8oz!! (that's 5760 grams)

Speaking of whom, I am being summoned as we speak...(maybe that's why it's been so long since I've blogged???) I must go and fill the hollow leg my son apparently has!

I'll try to write again soon, and keep you updated on his latest milestones and escapades!
2 Responses
  1. kathryn Says:

    awww. . Connor is extremely CUTE. . so cool to read of your birth experience. I too had no epidural, I did have Entonox however. . but it didn't make me laugh. Also didn't do much to take away the pain. There is a reason why women have epidurals. I never relished the thought of someone injecting my spine, so I put up with the pain. Also didn't want the babies groggy.

    So, he has a hollow leg, eh? that's men and mini men for ya.

    Congrats, Janine and Doug!


  2. J9 Says:

    I was actually quite afraid of the epidural, but thankfully have had no apparent side-effects. I still feel the injection site from time to time, but that's about it. I discovered there's a reason the nurses at the hospital nick-named it the "happy-dural"!