The End of an Era

Like many people around me, I'm in a bit of shock that Michael Jackson has passed away. It really does seem that he has gone before his time.

It's been interesting to see the reactions of people to this news. Really, it seems that there are 2 extremes, with not much in between: he is either mourned, and remembered for his amazing contributions to pop music performance, or he is hated, and only remembered for the sensational stories of child molestation and plastic surgeries.

I have to ask, what is the truth about Michael Jackson?

Was he a perverted sex offender who just seemed to get away with it?

Or was he a young boy stuck in a man's body, who only wanted to have innocent fun with other kids, and to live out the childhood he was never able to have?

Was there truth to the allegations brought forth by the young boys and their families?

Or were they simply out to get a piece of the pie in the form of fame, publicity, and a lot of money?

I have to admit, the more I hear about M.J., and see footage of him off-stage, the more I like to believe that he was actually very naive, and never realized that what seemed to him to be very innocent, child-like behaviours (ie. having sleep-overs with other kids) could be mis-construed by other adults (and the public in general) as perverted behaviours for an adult man.

I mean, let's face it - the way he lived his life pointed to him not wanting to grow up...why else would he name his ranch "Neverland"?...

I'm not saying it's not a possibility that he was indeed a deviant who preyed on young boys and used his celebrity to "brush it under the carpet", but I have to ask again:

What is the truth about Michael Jackson?

Unfortunately, we will likely never know.

And as a result, I prefer to remember him as the amazing musician and performer that he was, and focus on that legacy.

Not the tabloids.
1 Response
  1. juniper Says:

    Hey Janine,

    Yeah I'm mixed too about Michael Jackson. Just watched a biography of him on the weekend. I found it disturbing at times but still wondering what the truth of the matter really was.

    Anyhow, thanks for commenting on my post. I was so delighted to hear from you. I'll be sure to post again on Monday. Hope you guys are doing well and managing to get some rest.