Toronto Traffic

If I've learned nothing else over the last 4 years of Toronto driving, it's that Toronto Traffic takes on a life all it's own. Most of the time, there's no rhyme or reason behind it.

I have come to the conclusion that it's not really about the highway system, it's not the traffic patterns so-to-speak, and it's not a whole lot to do with the number of people trying to go in the same direction all at once.

It's all about the Corollas.

More specifically, people who drive the Corollas.

Now, I'm not saying that all Corolla drivers are bad drivers, nor am I saying that bad drivers will only be found in Corollas. However, after several years of observation, frustration, and outright road rage, there appears (to me) to be a disproportionate number of bad drivers driving Corollas in the GTA.

Give it a try next time you're driving in Toronto. Find yourself a traffic jam (shouldn't be too difficult), and 9 times out of 10, the slow car holding up the works will be a Corolla. Usually a slightly older one, late 90's or so, although the newer Corollas are not immune to Corolla Driver Syndrome. I've learned not to drive behind a Corolla, because the driver will invariably drive slower than the speed limit, change lanes without warning, decide at the last minute that, "oh! I need to turn here!", then change their minds and keep on going, after you've almost rear-ended them.....twice..... They pretty much seem clueless. The worst part is, they will usually drive in the left lane, and in such a way that no one can get out from behind them, so they'll hold up traffic for miles.....

Add winter weather to the mix, and you have a very dangerous combination. I think most of them got their licences (and their Corollas) in the summer. Either that, or they just can't remember one winter to the next what actually is slippery, and what is not.

Some of you may think I'm not being fair. Let me re-iterate: not ALL Corolla drivers are bad drivers. I actually know a few people who drive Corollas who are very good drivers. (although, why they would drive a Corolla is totally beyond me....) Do yourself a favour: trade in your Corolla! You're ruining your reputation as a driver!

Still think I'm being unfair?

I was driving to work the other morning, and the left lane (in which I was driving) suddenly slowed considerably. The right lane continued on, with people behind and in front of me bailing out to pass the obstruction in the left lane. Eventually, I came up behind the car which appeared to be the problem: an older model American car, driving on a donut. I thought to myself, ok, you're forgiven - I'd be driving a little slower too, if I was having to drive on a donut.

Then the guy with the donut swung himself into the right lane in an attempt to finally get out from behind the Corolla.....

.....'nuf said.....
1 Response
  1. Les Says:

    LOL!!
    Yous a funny gou-well.